vrijdag 20 mei 2011

Hello Guys,

Thought it was time to check in – see what condition our condition is in. Yes I do use a lot of song references when writing. That comes from listening to so much music over my 34 + years here. One of my escapisms. I get bored – I put on the head phones and slip away. Or when I exercise in my cell. I like all kinds of music. So, when I get tired of rock I go to soul or country – or whatever the mood calls for. Of course if I had an MP3 I’d probably listen to mostly “Pink Floyd” – “Sade” and “Sting” maybe toss in some “Doors” and “Toni Braxton” and a pinch of “Fleetwood Mac” – “Marvin Gaye” and “Carly Simon”. But, radio is best really. You get a D.J. and info. tossed in. Yes music is a major plus for me.

We are still playing musical chairs with moving from cell to cell. Though it has slowed down some. So far I have made 3 moves in about 1 year. For me I prefer to stay in one place. But as is with most things I don’t have a say in the matter. So, I just roll with the changes as they come. We have a new governor, new secretary of prisons and a new attorney general. From what I read about the new secretary of prisons. He made many changes in “Indiana’s Prison System”. Many positive. So far he has closed 6 prisons, 3 regular prisons – 3 boot camps. And plans to privatize 12 others. Let private companies come in and run them. That will not occur here! He’s said he will fire over 100 middle management employees! Officers.



To me, it makes more sense to fire or replace the upper management, or replace them with his own people – loyal to him and his ideas. Just seem sensible to me. The ones who actually run things. But, that’s his choice! Once again I do not run anything. He has said he wants to get out of prison – non violent – short term offenders. And ones arrested for and user of drugs. Get them drug addiction help. Also the very old and sick. All of these things should have been done long ago. So, I applaud these decisions. That prisoners will once again grow much of their own food. An excellent idea. Hopefully it will improve what we are given to eat. Wouldn’t take much. No word yet on death row – just rumors! I will not speculate on those. The budget shortfall will once again change some things here. What all I’m not sure of. To date. They took away fruits we once received! Also deserts on weekends and a meal during the week. Instead of one bar of soap per week – they break it in half – give us a half of a bar. Toilet paper once every 10 days. I hear it may be one roll every 15 days soon. Toothpaste every – once a month. Also may start to sell toilet paper on canteen. One good thing they give us 3 hours twice a week on exercise yard – instead of two! Here’s the deal for me. When good things occur, usually bad things come also. So, I’m waiting to see what else comes from the new regime to decide if it’s good or bad. So far they have not figure out or refuse to accept – that ending the death penalty would save hundreds of millions. Many states have. But the south hangs on to it as a political pawn or because they resist change.



They are also trying and may do! Changing the Florida Supreme Court changing it 0 from 7 justices to 10. 5 would sit on civil cases. 5 on criminal law. Which is a republican based move. Florida house and Senate is dominated by republicans. And this would – also allow them to appoint 3 more judges. I do not fully understand the full intent of this move. But, it’s easy enough to understand that if a political group enacts a new law, they do so to benefit their own agenda or philosophy of life as they want it to be. Of course they white wash it and sell it to the public – as good for everyone. And that goes for any group or political party, or group. I am simplifying it down to my own understanding. I like things that are simple to understand. Take away all the rhetoric and “mumbo jumbo” – the small print no one can read - the disclaimers. And spell out in simple terms what it’s really about. Oh I can usually understand the complicated “Shinola” filled stuff. But, it takes longer and wastes a lot of time and effort. And generally ends up confusing most people. So they really do not understand till it’s too late. Excuse my little rant, but that is the human side! One good thing about all these recent political changes across the U.S. of A. it has knocked people out of their complacency. Woke them up. Not since the 60’s early 70’s has there been such civil protests. A lot of it is self centered – concerning themselves. But sometimes when you wake people up they look around and see other areas of injustices as well. So now, they have poked the sleeping bear. And that never turn out good for the ones that do the poking!



So it ought to be interesting to see what comes from it all. The teachers are angry – the unions are pissed at recent measures passed in several states. All are upset about the economy and federal budget. And defenitely fed up with the political bickering and blame game. Here in Florida – they took away “Tenure for Teachers”. And want to base their Jobs on merit bases. It wasn’t enough that as a whole teachers are very under paid. Let’s face it without teachers – no professional would be educated enough to be where they are. Something politicians seem not to appreciate or acknowledge. Not my usual – mostly death penalty writings. But, what I try to do is let you see the human side of here. And as a whole person – not everything is about the death penalty. I’m just like any other person – in – or outside. My concerns and thoughts range over many topics and concerns. Ideas and world events. Most recent was the merit pay for teachers. My idea is – the teachers should ban together and collect support. To put a referendum on the ballet – to be voted on – to put – enact a law to put politicians on a merit scale of how they are paid and elected. For every promise a politician makes and breaks take away a percentage of their pay. We would end up with honest politicians or ones that worked for free. Smile! Hell they would be paying to work! Don’t get me wrong I think there are good people in politics. Who actually want to work for the people, who put the needs of the people before their own agenda or beliefs. But, as in any group - you have good and bad. Enough on that. I - myself am still hanging tough. It doesn’t get easier with time.



But, as long as I can deal with it I assume I will be o.k. I wonder though if in the end – will it have been worth all the effort. I suppose though we all wonder that same question about anything we do in life.The struggles we face or endure. Maybe it’s not the end result that truly matters. Rather that we do not give up – nor give in to whatever adversity we face. And that we appreciate the people we meet and stand alongside in the journey. That we make the best of what good comes our way as we go. And that we take time to enjoy when we can and laugh, love, live, cry! So, it’s as much the journey as the destination! And what we make of each. O.k. with that I’m out. Got a good book to read, Steig Larsson’s” the girl with the dragon tattoo”. A 3 book set. So far excellent. Till next we talk. Take care of each other!

Sincerely – out of the blue

Average Joe



Added Note: It seem the decision to split the Florida Supreme Court and make it 10 Justices failed. Last I heard, I think they figured out people knew what their agenda was. Whatever the reason I think it’s a good thing!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten